+110
Stephen Coughlan 3 years ago • updated by Viet Pham 1 year ago 10
Something that i dont see in other editors i think. 

Have i missed something because i havent checked thoroghly, but if a tail -f mode (i would imagine this to be a read only function) , combined with the side bar would be the most awesome feature to myself and to the  millions of unix support engineers. 
All the best and good luck
Stephen
+1

That would be very useful indeed.

+1 - really nice feature to have 

What's wrong with having tail -f running in a terminal window next to Sublime Text? I don't get this idea that the same program must do absolutely everything. Do we want Sublime Text to be the new Emacs?

There is no sensible tail -f for Windows.

And searching from plain tail output is a pain, having the same text inside Sublime Text would allow us to use its powerful search tools on the tailed file.

+2

I refuse to disagree, but the use case is simply "poll the file automatically" rather than "poll on focus" if a follow flag is set for the buffer.

+2

yes you can have a tail -f running in a terminal , good for you , go for it, tickle yourself to death with it even :) 

BUT i'm not looking for an more integrated alternative solution as i already know about using a terminal window, and all the tail command switches as everyone who can read this thread i imagine. 

But to have a function like this in a document window, with syntax highlighting and easily scrollable using the side map view is a feature that would probably sell the product better. 

My question to the forum was have this functionality included in the next version as a nice to have.

For you to basically come here and say "whats the point , we can do this instead" is not in the true flavour of helping to make a good piece of software better.  

I dont remember writing "sublime text does not have a tail -f function" can anyone help me with an alternative workaround ?

Any ways I posted this  7 + months back and it seems to be drawing some positive attention to a few people so every one if you agree with me write something here. 

If you do not have something positive to say on it then go do something else.

Absolutely need a tail function.

There is baretail or a few others that kinda work but I'd like ot be able to use sublime to do this as well. I already use it to look at large log files and this is the one missing function I need to be an awesome system tool

I am interested to have this function in sublime. Currently what I do is tail in cmd and copy the whole thing to sublime. =(